Sunday, May 19, 2013

"The Headless Wonder Chicken"

Yo peeps,

I know I promised Pentecost and National Neighbor Day today, and while I did go to mass today, so I technically celebrated that, I found a different, more interesting topic to celebrate today.
HAPPY MIKE, THE HEADLESS CHICKEN DAY!

Mike, the Headless Chicken
No joke.
For those of you who don’t know Mike (and I was one of you just a half hour ago) he is a chicken who lived eighteen months after being beheaded.  Gross, but true.  He was study at the University of Utah in Salt Lake where it was discovered that, while chopping the head off, the farmer and owner, Lloyd Olsen, cut too high and missed the chicken’s jugular vein and most of its brain.  Seemed this was enough to save the poor chicken.

Mike eventually died from strangulation when his own esophagus wouldn’t open.  Every year, during the third week in May, the town of Fruita, Colorado, where Lloyd Olsen and Mike were from, throws a festival to celebrate the anniversary of this amazing feat.
Today, Mike is still featured in the Guinness Book of World Records.  Wonder why?

For more information, here's the history of Mike.

Long live Mike!

-          @

PS: TOMORROW: Be a Millionaire Day

No comments:

Post a Comment